Logo done by Afterlife Designs

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Interview: Etienne Sin


Interview @ 3/30/2011
Check out his website at: http://etiennesin.com/

Etienne Sin is one of the leaders in independent post-hardcore. Fresh off of his release "The Legend The Leader EP" with the legendary Jordan Blake (ex-A Skylit Drive, Watchout! There's Ghosts, Trances), Etienne Sin is a artist to keep an eye on. He also has various other projects to help out anyone with recording, screaming, and other aspects of the music making/music business. Read below to learn more about his projects and to view someone who works with and for his fans, not for the industry.

Q: Tell the readers how did the idea of making "The Legend The Leader EP" with Jordan Blake come to fruition?

ES: The Legend. The Leader EP, well that was all Jordan's idea. I hit him up one day, asking him just to do a song together. He liked what I was doing and wanted to do an entire project. We agreed, got my manager involved and we made magic. It was all really simple and straightforward stuff. I threw some instrumentals together in the studio a few days before he came, and once he was here, we just sang over them!

Q: I loved that EP by the way (readers can read my review I gave on the EP Here). It was a fresh breath of air while staying true to the origins of post-hradcore/screamo. What was the catalyst that made you want to make music?

ES: I make music because it's inside my head, and I need to get it out. I don't know why, or what started it all, but all I know is that I do it because I feel like I need to. My parents really influenced me to get started for sure, but after a little while, It was something that just needed to be done for the sake of my sanity.

Q: I've noticed that you have a lot of covers on your website etiennesin.com. What was your favorite song that you've covered so far?

ES: Yeah, the covers. They do what they have to haha. My favorite would probably be To Plant A Seed by We Came As Romans. It was my personal best. 

Q: Love that song by the way. What serves as your biggest inspiration to go out and make music?

ES: My girlfriend inspires me to make something of it. I could make music forever for no reason, but she's really the reason I do my best to make it a career and to make it successful!

Q: Who are your biggest idols and why?

ES: If we're talking about musical idols, it's all over the place. I'm a huge fan of Death Metal and Black Metal. Bands like Carcass, Decapitated, Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir, and Arch Enemy really got me into making heavy music. THAN I can tell you my other inspirations that are on the other side of music. Pop artists like, Christina Aguilera, Oh Land, and Demi Lovato are some of the few. Rappers like DMX, The Game, Nikki Minaj, etc. I'm everywhere with musical idols!

Q: Wow, I honestly wasn't expecting death metal. That is truly awesome though! Carcass, Dimmu Borgir and Arch Enemy are some of my very first bands that I was exposed to. Do you have any upcoming releases (solo or with other music artists) in the pipelines right now?

ES: Upcoming releases: ALWAYS!. I have a few more free solo songs coming out before the summer, than I'll be coming out with another solo EP around June. 

With my new company "Etienne Sin Productions", I'll be working with artists from all over the US, leading an independent movement of hardcore bands called "The Sin Circle". It'll be big, so stay tuned for that! =)


Q: I have no doubt it will be big! What is the overall message that you're trying to send with your music?

ES: My message, live life and love it. Love your woman (or man) and family, don't be a disrespectful person, and take control of your destiny or let it take you where you need to be in life.

Q: What would you say is your biggest musical accomplishment so far?

ES: My biggest musical accomplishment so far would be all the music fans that call themselves fans of my music! It's amazing to get all of the support from fans, so I'll put that at the top of the list of biggest musical accomplishments.

Q: What other hobbies do you have?

ES: I don't have too much hobbies because music takes up so much of my time. Any day off, I'm with my girl, but If I have a few hours I'll play some video games. I'm a big fan of Halo, Mass Effect, Call Of Duty, and stuff like that. I like to watch some NCIS or some Anime. Other than that, I like going airsofting with a few of my friends. That's about all I do though.

Q: What was the first song you made or covered?

ES: I've been making songs since I was 10, so I honestly don't remember. Same thing with covers, I have so many, I don't remember which or what came first.

Q: I've also noticed you have a variety of other projects. Tell your fans a little bit about them.

ES: I have many things that I do. Etienne Sin is my solo project. As for Etienne Sin Productions "The Sin Circle", I'm on a few of the bands EP's either as an artist, producer, or both.

I have collaborations with Jordan Blake, and an amazing drummer from Germany called Blastphemer. 
I do all of my projects to stay versatile both as an artist and a producer.


Q: Ever wonder about coming out with a DVD release of Scream School?

ES: Yes, I'm making a screaming DVD called "Dreaming Of Screaming", set to release in late April.

Q: I cannot wait for that! I know I need some lessons haha. What is the strangest fan experience you've had so far?

ES: I honestly don't think any experience is strange. Everyone is different and everyone acts how they are. I don't like to call anything strange.

Q: What sort of advice can you give fans who are trying to form their own bands?

ES: Advice, just don't stop. Don't let anyone take control of your destiny. Seize it for yourself, if you want it, you have to own it. Listen to anyone who's got a band out there, just hit me up, and I'll guide you down the right road.

Q: Any shout outs you want to give?

ES: Shout outs to my girl for sure! To my friends who always come through to help in all of the music videos and to all of the fans who show their constant support!

Q: Any last words for your Sinners?

ES: Just to stay tuned for all of the new music and stuff that I'm making for you guys! =)

**Sinner**

No comments:

Post a Comment