Logo done by Afterlife Designs

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Review: Various Artists- A Tribute To Alkaline Trio (2011)


Band: Various Artists
Release: A Tribute To Alkaline Trio
Genre: Pop Punk/Rock
Label: Pacific Ridge Records

Tracklist:
1. Spontaneo – Clavicle
2. Bright and Early – Stupid Kid
3. Punchline – Madam Me
4. Allister – My Little Needle
5. And Then There Were None – If You Had A Bad Time
6. The Lion Faced Boy – You’re Dead
7. The Material – Bleeder
8. Joe Wilson – Goodbye Forever
9. I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody’s Business – Southern Rock
10. The Promise Hero – Sorry About That
11. The SpacePimps – Jaked On Green Beers
12. Jonah Matranga – I’m Dying Tomorrow
13. Rob Huddleston (of Ann Beretta) – Help Me
14. Into It. Over It. – Message From Kathlene
15. My Arcadia – Maybe I’ll Catch Fire
16. When We Team Up – WarBrain
17. Hold For Swank – My Standard Break From Life
18. Weatherstar – Radio
19. Barely Blind – Nose Over Tail
20. The Catastrophe – Tuck Me In
21. Floral Terrace – This Could Be Love
22. August Premier – Sun Dials
23. Jesse Ponnock – All On Black
24. United Federation of Planets – Exploding Boy
25. Rattlesnake Gunfight – Another Innocent Girl
26. Promise of Redemption – Take Lots With Alcohol
27. Ramona – You’ve Got So Far To Go
28. Koji – She Took Him To The Lake
29. The Story Changes – San Francisco
30. The Icarus Account – 97
31. Still Rings True – My Friend Peter
32. The Composure – Sleepyhead
33. Time & Distance – I Lied My Face Off
34. Future Idiots – Sadie
35. In Bloom – Keep em Coming
36. Straight Outta Junior High – Fuck You Aurora
37. Washington Square Park – Cop

Review: 8.7/10
Most tribute albums that are put together like this: Make it of a well known artist, toss on a few really well known and current bands, and toss on some bands no one has ever heard of before in hopes that they get more attention. The good thing about this two disc extensive tribute is that I don’t get that sort of marketing vibe at all. This is definitely the epitome of all Alkaline Trio tributes, with bands such as The Wonder Years, I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody’s Business, Into It. Over It., and The Lion Faced Boy, along with a whopping thirty five other bands all contributing to preserving the legacy that is Alkaline Trio. It covers all periods of the band’s career, except for the latest studio album This Addiction.

I had just learned of The Lion Faced Boy two days before I started this review, and this is a band I’m very impressed with. They covered the song “You’re Dead” and they play it true to the original, without changing the arrangement of the song at all, which is something that I can’t stand to hear. This is one of shining points on this whole tribute, as Rob’s vocals just sound… so right for this.

I was surprised to see The Material on this tribute. If there are other female covers of AT I don’t know about them, but this is the first I’ve heard. On their cover of “Bleeder,” Colleen’s voice draws your complete attention into the song over subtle bass before it heads straight into crisp and clear pop punk territory with basic drumming and guitars that stay true throughout the song. Colleen’s voice has improved a hundred fold since the last time I listened to this band (which was on their ep back 2007, though I could be wrong about the year).

Spontaneo’s opening cover of “Clavicle” is quaint at best. The vocalist really rings into my ears and is set too sharp (though that was probably at fault of the mixer) and the guitars sound a tad messy, though it’s not a really bad cover. The best part is at the end when the vocalist projects his voice more outward and leaves off on a real powerful impression.

I had the pleasure in reviewing The Story Changes latest EP This Is Your Moment (which you can read on my site Here) and it really made me a big fan. So when I heard they were going to be on this tribute, it gave me more of an insight that this was going to be a tribute album to remember. Although this is certainly not the best song on the tribute, it is another excellent example of the band staying true to the original. The tempo is set slightly higher and the guitars are deeper, but other than that I was pleased at how well it turned out.

Definitely goes down in my list as the best tribute album of the year. Now for my confession: I never was a huge fan of Alkaline Trio. I don’t own any of their albums on my iPod, but I don’t dislike them either. They just never stuck out for me. This tribute had me re-thinking that however, and I plan on buying “Goddamnit” very soon.

Stream and download the full 39 track album here through Pacific Ridge Records: http://pacificridgerecords.bandcamp.com/album/a-tribute-to-alkaline-trio

No comments:

Post a Comment